Metal Roofing is a popular choice for residential, industrial and commercial buildings due to its characteristics in comparison to other types of roofing material. Steel, Zinc and aluminum are the common materials to be used for metal roofing.
Here are some of the benefits of choosing metal sheet for your roofing in Malaysia:
1) Strong Durability - Metal Roofing is considered as the strongest and most durable type when compare to other material types of roofing such as wood, concrete, glass, or plastic. Metal roofing is not only able to resist strong wind and rain, it can withstand the growth of mildew and mold for a long period of time. In addition, metal roofing is fire resistant and normally classified as Class A fire rated grade.
2) Low maintenance cost / Long term cost saving - As we know that metal roofing requires minimal maintenance cost and time throughout its life span especially when the roof has installed properly at the first stage. General upkeep such as cleaning the leaves, debris for around twice a year, or re-coat the external coatings will be enough to keep the roofing well maintained. Besides, if you painted a lighter color on the metal roofing, it will reflect more heat and reduce the amount of heat transfer into the house, you can save on the electricity bill as well.
3) Longer lifespan - Most of the metal roofing can last for up to 60 years and more with proper installation.
4) Recyclable - Any tear-off metal, used panels, scraps left after installation of the metal sheets can be recycled into another product which considered a highly environmentally friendly product. In addition, some of the metal roofing is made of recycled material and usually contains up to 30% of recycled material.
There are many types/designs/profiles of metal roofing sheets available to meet your requirements.
1) Corrugated Metal Roofing
Which is larger with consistent waves. It has existed in the market for more than 100 years which can be considered as the most traditional pattern of metal roofing and widely used in commercial, industrial and residential buildings. Corrugated metal roofing is commonly made of galvanized steel and covered with a zinc coating which will give a dull & silver color before painting, then roll it into a corrugated sheet. It can be applied with a variety of coatings to keep it from rusting, improving its level of waterproofing and reflecting heat (for heat insulation purpose) depends on the requirements. It is also available in Galvalume steel and aluminum which yield a higher price.
The reasons for using corrugated metal are mainly due to its durability and structural stability provided by its natural shape (repeating wave design) when compare to other types of metal roofing sheets, so it is most suitable to be installed in high-wind regions. Its corrugation design also can hide small imperfections caused by the weather and other impacts over a long period of time. The high flexibility and adaptability of corrugated metal roofing sheet can be easily fit into any desired designs required by the house owner, contractor or architect, for both modern and traditional classic look. Besides, the installation of this type of metal sheet is quick and low cost with the use of exposed fastener system, it means that the screws that hold the panel are exposed to the weather. This system requires periodic maintenance (usually after every 10-12 years) to ensure that the washer is intact and fasteners do not loosen over the time).
2) Ribbed Metal Roofing
Ribbed Metal Roofing is similar to the Corrugated metal roofing and sometimes being mistaken as Standing seam metal roofing. The main difference between Corrugated metal roofing and Ribbed Metal Roofing is the designed pattern, Corrugated metal roofing is designed in a wavy u-shaped curve, whereas Ribbed metal roofing has fewer waves, wider space and some consistent pattern between the ridges (upper curve). Ribbed metal roofing is also installed in the same way as corrugated metal roofing, the fasteners are exposed and regular maintenance is required for every decade. Ribbed metal roofing may provide a more modern look than corrugated metal roofing. Both are in quite a similar pricing.
3) Standing Seam Metal Roofing (Standing rib panel)
This type of metal roofing is getting more demanding recently due to its modern, unique look with other benefits and widely installed in high-end residential/commercial buildings. Standing seam metal roofing is using a concealed fastener metal system below the surface of the metal sheet by using clip or nail flange, so the concealed fasteners are well-protected. This kind of system required less maintenance than Corrugated/Ripped metal roofing.
It is designed in a more formal look with vertical legs and a wide, flat area between the legs, also creates a better system for shedding water. It is ideal for the low-pitched roof. Standing seam metal roofing sheet is usually made of Galvalume which has been super-galvanized with an aluminum-zinc alloy coating. Galvalume coating has created two times of rust and corrosion resistance than corrugated metal roofing due to its special coating process. In this case, Standing seam metal roofing will cost higher than the Corrugated/Ribbed metal roofing with its improved design, better warranties, thicker panel and more difficulties to install.
There are other types/designs of metal roofing available in the market. When choosing the right roofing system for your building, it depends greatly on the architecture design and your budget. MecHero supply a wide range of steel product, hardware, roofing system and its accessories & parts such as drip edge, hip, ridge, flashing. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 011-7001 7687 or submit inquiry from our website. Our steel specialists are ready to give you a professional service.